11 October 2010

Good News, Bad News

I had an audition on Saturday for an original piece and I nailed it. I went in there and gave it everything I could. I read for two different characters and I think I managed to make them each their own person, but I also think I brought some of myself to each character. And I really enjoyed the audition, too. There are some auditions that have a relaxed, encouraging atmosphere and this was one of them.

So I was not cast.

Which is disappointing, yes. I think I could have brought something interesting to either of the roles I read for and I felt really good about my performance, so it would have been nice to get to explore the character more in rehearsal and then bring her to life in performance.

But the director did take a minute to send me a personal email saying how much he enjoyed my audition, how he was fascinated by the layers I brought to the characters, and how he was really disappointed that he couldn't use me in this production. I thought that was extraordinarily nice of him. Directors don't usually take the time to let the people who weren't cast know that they weren't cast at all, much less to tell them that they gave a really good audition and offer up words of encouragement. So thank you to this director for taking the time to send me that note. That meant a lot to me.

Though I will admit that it was a little hard to take. I don't know exactly why I was not cast, but it looks like it was one of those things that was completely out of my control. I don't look right with the lead guy or some role was already promised to someone else or something like that. Something about which I can do absolutely nothing. Which is hard for me. I like to be able to learn from my experiences and I'm not sure what I can learn from this. Other than I am good at this. I can go in there and give a great audition if I just trust myself. And that if I keep trying, something will eventually have to stick.

No comments:

Post a Comment