10 September 2009

Kind of Sad

I had signed up to take the physical theater movement workshop again this term, but the class didn't fill, so it was canceled. This makes me sad for many reasons.

I was looking forward to some intense physical activity one night a week (something other than running in place in my apartment).

I need to work on following my physical impulses, and this class over the summer really helped me do that. I wanted to be able to continue this work.

I think it is a nice complement to go from a physical Meisner class to a verbal Meisner class. Yes, both classes hit on both (a little), but I think the two work well together. You learn how the physical inspires the verbal and how the verbal inspires they physical. As actors, we need to use every tool available to us, and these both need to be developed and focused on and utilized.

But I think it mostly makes me sad because of the potential commentary on the state of actors in this city. We're all too lazy to take a physical movement class. Everyone wants to be an actor, but nobody wants to develop their physical skills. What gives? Isn't half the fun of acting the play of it? Running around and behaving like children? I guess this is why we see so many half-movements on stage (i.e. people who lean into their scene partner and yell as opposed to moving towards their partner and getting in their face, or people whose arms are glued to their bodies, or people who only act with their hands and voices) - nobody took the time to develop their full body physical impulses. That makes me sad.

And the selfish reason - if nobody else signed up for the class, I don't get to develop my physical impulses either. Drat.

No comments:

Post a Comment