22 July 2009

Moving in Circles

Last night was movement class again and I left feeling very unsatisfied. We did a lot of the same things we did last week - walking, running, jumping, stopping, dropping, improvising, making images, using our bodies to build stories - but I just didn't feel as good about the work I did this week as I did last week. I didn't feel like I connected to the other people in the class as well, and I don't feel like they connected to me as well. There were a couple of exceptions to this, like this five minute long mirror/dance moment that happened with this one guy that was pretty intense and really wonderful. But there was also the addition of a new element with which I didn't connect at all, and I think that flavored the rest of my work. I know at times there will be things or people that I have to work with on stage that I don't connect with and I either have to try to force a connection (which feels wrong), or just push through without a connection (which also feels wrong). I'm not sure which is the lesser of two evils.

But I...I dunno. I just didn't feel as good about last night. Maybe I went in with an agenda that was not fulfilled. Maybe I was afraid of getting injured like I did last week and that limited my movement. Maybe it's just because a lot of what we did wasn't new.

We did a few trust exercises, like falling back on someone and playing a version of light as a feather, stiff as a board. That was cool, and very fun. Rather odd sensation, but really fun. And I did get to tap into my own anger a bit - that was good. I have problems dealing with anger sometimes.

I dunno. I guess there will be good classes and there will be not as good classes. This is what is to be expected in any sort of learning process.

No comments:

Post a Comment