14 July 2009

Ow.

Ow.

I am bruised. Literally. I was beaten. Literally. I am exhausted and exhilarated and excited. Literally. I am icing my feet.

I don't know if there is a way to effectively describe a theater movement class to someone who has never taken a theater movement class. I don't know if there is a way to effectively describe a Meisner class to someone who has never taken Meisner. So imagine the position I am in trying to put into words a Meisner based movement class. I don't know that it can be done. But I'll try.

We played. We jumped and ran and walked and stopped and squealed and pouted and crawled and spun and fell and grew and shared and touched and built and posed and felt and experienced. Pick an action verb, and we probably did it. Pick an action verb that does not result in injury, and we probably did it. Though I did get clocked in the face during one jumping session. And I spent so much time on my knees, they are all red and don't even really look like knees anymore. The thing is, you put six people in a room and tell them to move around and people will tend to do similar things. It's how we're raised to function in society, going as far back as babies learning social smiling. But in a theater movement class, or on a stage, it's not about doing the same thing as everyone else. It is about participating, but bringing something unique and interesting to the table. If everyone else is standing, find a reason to lie on the floor. If everyone is kneeling quietly, find a reason to skip. Add variety. Truthful variety - it has to come from somewhere and have motivation and purpose - but by changing things even just slightly, the whole picture changes and what was a funeral is now a boat ride down the river that ends with the overthrowing of an evil tyrant. And it all makes sense.

Everything that there was in the Wednesday class existed in this class, too - moments, connections, interactions, introspection - but most of tonight happened without words (as opposed to Wednesday that was mostly words). It really is an interesting combination of classes to be taking together. And maybe it's a good thing that the classes are back to back - maybe my work in the physical class will help me follow my impulses more in the verbal class. Because there is physicality in the verbal, and at the end of the night, there was verbal in the physical. It all comes together to make us live truthfully.

But I think I need to stretch now. I bent and twisted and squatted and ran and jumped so much - and for three hours - that I'm going to be horribly sore tomorrow if I don't. Even more sore than I already am, I mean. Literally, I'm icing my feet. I have a huge bruise and two scrapes on my one foot. My knees don't look like knees. My back hurts. My elbows hurt - I can't figure that one out at all. If nothing else, it's going to be encouragement for me to stay in better shape. I need to keep up with the other kids in class.

Oh, in case it wasn't clear, I had a great time in this class and can't wait for next week. My injuries are badges of honor.

No comments:

Post a Comment